How Long After Starting Thyroid Medication Will I Lose Weight
How long after starting thyroid medication will I lose weight – Thyroid or hypothyroidism is commonly associated with weight gain but an effective treatment with levothyroxine can help to reduce the weight by restoring the normal thyroid hormone levels. Although if we discuss how long after starting thyroid medication will I lose weight. Then it takes time to reduce the weight after thyroid medications. In this aspect, let us scroll below to know more about how to lose weight with thyroid medications.
After you start taking the treatment for thyroid the medicines take along to act in the beginning. It may take a few weeks to experience the improvement. As levothyroxine takes time to cure the symptoms and maintains the weight. But symptoms should start disappearing within a month. Weight control becomes one of the biggest frustration for thyroid patients and its treatment while curing the thyroid controls the weight as well.
What is the relationship between thyroid and weight?
There is a complex relationship between the thyroid and body weight-metabolism. Over a specific amount of time, the metabolism rate is determined by measuring the amount of oxygen used by the body. This measurement test is known as the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and this test is the one which used to check the thyroid status at the initial state.
- The thyroid glands are associated with BMR itself. The patient’s whose thyroid glands are not working found to have low BMR’s.
- As this test consists of various complexities so this is the reason that doctors avoid this test as BMR is subject to many other influences other than the state of the thyroid.
How much weight can I expect to lose once the Thyroid is treated?
Once the thyroid is treated one can experience some sort of weight loss. The treatment of the thyroid abnormal state with thyroid hormone should result in a return of body weight. To what it was before the hypothyroidism developed.
- The thyroid usually develops over a long period of time and its treatment also takes time to cure the symptoms. This is the reason that the weight loss process also takes much time after the treatment of thyroid.
- Once the thyroid symptoms get cured, the weight loss process begins slightly slow and that also depends on person to person. The ability to gain or lose weight is the same.
- As in individuals who do not have thyroid problems once hypothyroidism has been treated and thyroid hormone levels have returned to the normal range of thyroid hormone.
The thyroid gland secretes two hormones, primarily thyroxine (T4) and some triiodothyronine (T3). In patients with an underactive gland, the main goal is to match the amount of T4, a normally functioning thyroid would secrete.
Doctors usually prescribe levothyroxine sodium (Synthroid, other brands), a synthetic form of the hormone. If blood tests show that the levels of another regulating hormone, thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), are normal. There’s no reason to prescribe or increase the dose.
But there’s disagreement among thyroid specialists about the normal range for TSH. So some doctors treat patients that other doctors would not. There’s also variation in how patients are treated. Some doctors prescribe T4 and T3.
Or liotrix (Thyrolar), a medication that combines the two hormones in one pill. But combining T4 and T3 hasn’t been proven to work any better than T4 alone.
The aforementioned is the detailed information regarding how long after starting thyroid medication will I lose weight. The medications in the thyroid, its working criteria, and the weight, or metabolism relations all factors take place when it comes to reducing the weight after thyroid treatment. It takes long weeks of time to get control of the weight factor in the treatment of thyroid.